Chef Jeanie recently appeared on The Rhode Show cooking up a recipe – Fluffy Molded Pancakes – from her new cookbook
The Perfect Caper Home Cooking – which can be purchased here:
Ingredients for Fluffy Molded Pancakes :
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
Directions for Fluffy Molded Pancakes :
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large bowl, using the mixer, whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until glossy peaks form.
- In another large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and remaining salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture and whisk until well combined. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Heat griddle to 375 degrees and place ring molds on the griddle. Pour 1/3 cup batter into each mold and tent lightly with foil. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until set and golden brown on the bottom. Gently remove molds, flip pancakes and cook 3-4 minutes, until golden.
- Transfer pancakes to a plate and keep warm in preheated oven. Repeat with the remaining batter, spraying griddle and molds and adjusting heat as needed between batches.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar, with wild blueberry syrup on the side.
Ingredients and Directions for Wild Blueberry Maple Syrup:
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- ½ tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen wild blueberries
- In a small saucepan, bring maple syrup, vanilla paste and lemon juice to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add berries, remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes.